[FFmpeg-user] Problems with Audio Codec: almost solved it

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Fri Aug 9 17:46:05 CEST 2013

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 5:33 PM, James Board <jpboard2 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think I found the problem to both my ffmpeg encoding issues (encodes don't
> work) and my playback problems (player pauses when I try to skip forward).
>
> The original AVI files have this audio codec:
>     [pcm] afm: pcm (Uncompressed PCM)
>
> I then run ffmpeg with the select video filters and aselect audio filters
> to do cut edits.  During this step, for whatever reason I set the option
> "-c:a wmav2", the audio codec becomes
>     [ffwmav2] afm: ffmpeg (DivX audio v2 (FFmpeg))
>

> Files encode successfully and the play successfully with the PCM audio codec,
> but not the wmav2 codec.  So I guess my system has problems with the
> wmav2 codec, and I want to not use it.
>
> I really don't know anything about audio codecs, and I just want to get my
> [damm] app working.  If my original audio codec is uncompressed PCM, what
> should I set the "-c:a " option to when doing the cut edits in order to keep
> the same audio format, or as close as possible to the same format?  I can't
> use 'copy' with the aselect filter.
>
> Thank you

What exactly does ffmpeg output when you do ffmpeg -i <your-input-file>?

You probably don't do anything wrong by using pcm_s24le as the audio
codec, which may be a bit of waste if your original pcm-encoded data
uses less than 24bit (32 is rather unlikely, I would say and no human
will hear the difference between 32 and 24), otherwise use pcm_s16le.