[FFmpeg-user] 2-pass ENcoding with mpeg (switching from mencoder)

Francois Visagie francois.visagie at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 17:24:35 CEST 2013

'-f rawvideo' instead of '-f mp4' may be a bit faster. You can also add
'-fastfirstpass 1'.

>    ffmpeg -y -i IN.avi -c:v libx264 -preset medium -b:v 10m -pass 2 -an
> OUT.mp4
>
> Is the -preset option setting CRF?  I don't know.  I cut-and-pasted that
> command from examples I found on the web.

I don't see how CRF gets specified either. For reference, here are the
command lines I use:

ffmpeg -y -i INPUT -an -c:v libx264 -preset veryslow -fastfirstpass 1 -f
rawvideo -b:v 2500000 -pass 1 NUL
ffmpeg -y -I INPUT -c:v libx264 -preset veryslow -b:v 2500000 -pass 2
OUTPUT.mp4

> What would be an example for doing 2-pass encoding, with the libx264
> codec, at a video rate of 10 million bits per second, and merely copy the
> audio from input file to output file, and using an mp4 format?

ffmpeg -y -i INPUT -an -c:v libx264 -preset veryslow -fastfirstpass 1 -f
rawvideo -b:v 10000000 -pass 1 NUL
ffmpeg -y -I INPUT -c:a copy -c:v libx264 -preset veryslow -b:v 10000000
-pass 2 OUTPUT.mp4

'-preset' according to your preferences, of course.