[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg Unknown encoder 'libx264' error

Ned Haskin feanor2112 at covad.net
Tue Aug 6 15:22:04 CEST 2013

On Mon, 2013-08-05 at 17:57 +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Ned Haskin <feanor2112 <at> covad.net> writes:
>
> > $ ./configure --enable-libdc1394 --prefix=/usr
>
> Mostly unrelated to your original question:
>
> > --extra-cflags='-Wall -g '
>
> Please remove this.
>
> > --enable-gpl
>
> > --enable-shared
>
> (This is of course 100% ok, but if you are unexperienced
> I would strongly recommend not to use it, it generally
> has theoretical problems and the gain for you as a
> user is not completely clear to me, in combination with
> "--prefix=/usr", I personally consider it highly
> dangerous and would not use it on my system.)
>
> > --enable-nonfree --enable-libx264
>
> > --enable-encoder=libx264
>
> This makes no sense in the configure line you posted.
I was trying to get the encoder to compile, not sure why it wouldn't. I did compile ffmpeg many times before posting.

> > --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libvorbis
>
> > --enable-libtwolame --enable-libv4l2
I use them both on other projects. Although I see now that a mp2 encoder is in ffmpeg.

> (I would even recommend to remove these two.)
>
> > --enable-pthreads
>
> This is the default, please remove it.
>
> > --enable-libfaac --enable-libxvid
>
> > --enable-postproc
>
> This also makes no sense.
It is in the debian ffmpeg configure line.

Got ffmpeg to compile and libx264 to work with yesterdays git. I noticed that --arch=amd64 didn't change ARCH. I also use
ffmpeg to transcode input files for cinelerra-cv & mjpeg is quite slow. Or is that just mjpeg code?

ned337 at vid:~/ffmpeg$ ./configure --arch=amd64 --enable-opencl --enable-gpl --enable-nonfree --enable-libx264
--enable-libxvid --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libfaac
install prefix            /usr/local
source path               .
C compiler                gcc
ARCH                      x86 (generic)
big-endian                no
runtime cpu detection     yes
yasm                      yes
MMX enabled               yes
MMXEXT enabled            yes
3DNow! enabled            yes
3DNow! extended enabled   yes
SSE enabled               yes
SSSE3 enabled             yes
AVX enabled               yes
FMA4 enabled              yes
i686 features enabled     yes
CMOV is fast              yes
EBX available             yes
EBP available             yes
debug symbols             yes
strip symbols             yes
optimize for size         no
optimizations             yes
static                    yes
shared                    no
postprocessing support    yes
new filter support        yes
network support           yes
threading support         pthreads
safe bitstream reader     yes
SDL support               yes
opencl enabled            yes
texi2html enabled         yes
perl enabled              yes
pod2man enabled           yes
makeinfo enabled          yes

External libraries:
iconv			libx264			opencl
libfaac			libxvid			zlib
libmp3lame

skip stuff: no errors

License: nonfree and unredistributable
Creating config.mak, config.h, and doc/config.texi...
libavutil/avconfig.h is unchanged

Thanks,
Ned