[FFmpeg-user] Inaccurate trimming with re-encoding

thljcl jiachielee at live.com
Mon Aug 5 16:36:51 CEST 2013

You do know that how small the video can be cut out from the source depends
on your camera frame rate, do you not? I do not think that there is a
consumer-application camera that can take 1000 high-resolution pictures per
second. The maximum frame rate supported by H.264 is 172 FPS. For normal
playback though, it would be necessary to convert the frame rate to 24 FPS,
25 FPS, or 30 FPS for smooth playback. Storing video in 172 FPS is mainly
for editing purposes and being kept as master copy.
Yes, it’s possible to cut out the video from the source based on frame
numbers, assuming that your video source is of constant frame rate. Only
with constant frame rate, you can then tell the length of video by counting
the number of available frames. Is cutting out a portion of video based on
number of frames is what you are looking for? In fact, that’s the most
accurate we can get in terms of cutting out portions of video from a longer
video.
Tell me exactly if I get your question right. If you do want to know how to
cut the video based on the number of frames, I would tell you later on this
forum.