[FFmpeg-user] Does converting to yuv444p by default make sense?

Carl Lindqvist lulebo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 15:03:39 CEST 2013

For the purpose of this thread my argument stands. It shows that there
can not be a 1:1 mapping between 24 bit RGB and 8 bit (24 bit) YCbCr
color spaces. If you have an RGB image, convert it to YCbCr, you can
not represent all possible RGB values that were originally there. (For
example one huge 16,7 megapixel image that happened to include every
color in RGB)

If we all agree that 24 bit RGB has 16777216 possible colors, and that
8 bit YCbCr also has 16777216 possible colors, then what I said must
be true. Because I have just shown that at least 65536 of the possible
colors in YCbCr all represent the same color in RGB. That means that a
conversion must lose colors.