[FFmpeg-user] ffplay is not built

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Apr 28 22:16:37 CEST 2013

Reindl Harald <h.reindl <at> thelounge.net> writes:

> release branches are what they are, a defined state

I don't know if you really don't understand or
if you are mixing up FFmpeg with some other
project (or if you are trying to spread FUD):
There has never been a release branch in FFmpeg
that was a "defined state" with any advantage
for an end user.
(Personally, I am not so sure that there is any
advantage for packagers, but they claim that
they have an advantage and I am not a packager.)

When I wrote "known" bugs I of course meant that
we "know" that in old release branches there were
always more bugs than in git head (note that there
is no "development branch") and there is not the
slightest indication that this has changed over
time, on the contrary, since I am the one working
on bug reports, I do know very well what I am
talking about.

To sum it up (since this is a public mailing list
for FFmpeg users):
As an end user, you should never download a release
to build it, just build current git head. Current
git head is the only version supported on this
mailing list and it is the only version for which
you can report bugs.

Please do not spread any false information on
this mailing list (like for example that FFmpeg
release branches have any advantage for end
users).

Thank you, Carl Eugen