[FFmpeg-user] Can the rtmp stream published by Flash Media Encoder be read by ffmpeg?

paulj at fastmail.es paulj at fastmail.es
Wed Apr 24 18:25:32 CEST 2013

> Does anyone know if there's a way to use Flash Media Live Encoder with
> ffmpeg (or maybe ffserver)?
>
> FMLE publishes an rtmp stream to Flash Media Server, but I'm guessing it
> needs to connect to a daemon in order to publish.
>
> Can this be done via ffmpeg, or does anyone know of a linux server that
> FMLE can connect to and from which ffmpeg can read?
>
> thanks
> Ricardo

	Funny you should ask that :-), since I asked the exact same question a few days ago.
>From my research, you can NOT just use ffmpeg to listen on a port and get the RTMP
stream; Flash Media Live Encoder expects something... else (don't know exactly what, would
love to be enlightened). Thus, you need a  proper RTMP server to listen to its stream.

	The 2 most important ones I've been testing have been Red5 and crtmpd. However,
their documentation is pretty sparse, and their example all seem to assume clients using
browsers (with Flash players like jwPlayer) connecting to the server to watch the stream. I
wasn't able to get them to work.

	A third possibility is RTMPDump, which seems more amenable to your (and my) idea
of getting the RTMP stream and feeding it to ffmpeg to do something else. It seems to come
with its own RTMP server, precisely for that purpose. I haven't tested it, though, since I found
other ways to solve my project that didn't involve ffmpeg, but would love to hear experiences.

                                  Paulo.

"Oh, don't worry kids. Most of you will
never fall in love. You'll just marry
for fear of dying alone."