[FFmpeg-user] HTML5 live streaming

Ricardo Kleemann ricardo at americasnet.com
Sun Apr 21 23:53:36 CEST 2013

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 10:21 PM, JoelB <onephatcat at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Should work for Roku and anything that supports HLS, I think android does,
> various flash players, QuickTime 7 for Mac, safari(?) supposedly supports
> it as well. Generally, you want to encode h.264 video with AAC audio.
>
> Joel
>
> Sent from my iPhone

So that's what I'm doing... I'm encoding to 264 and AAC, and piping to the
segmenter.

I see the m3u8 file being written as well as all the other ts files.

But if I try to access from an iPad it gives me different errors, sometimes
it says "cannot decode", sometimes it says cannot find the file.

I'm assuming that the m3u8 file is supposed to be served up by a standard
web server (apache). Do I need any special configuration in apache for this?

Here's my ffmpeg command:

ffmpeg -threads 4 -i "rtmp://server1/live/livestream1" -f mpegts -i_qfactor
0.71 -qcomp 0.6 -qmin 10 -qmax 63 -qdiff 4 -trellis 0 -vcodec libx264 -s
480x270 -b:v 512k -b:a 56k -ar 22050 - | m3u8-segmenter -i - -d 10 -p
cidadeviva/live -m /shared/media/videos/cidadeviva/live.m3u8 -u
http://web1.americasnet.com/videos/

It succeeds in reading the rtpm stream and does pipe the output to the
segmenter since I see all of the m3u8 and ts files being written.

I'm able to access the m3u8 file via http, although I see apache often
complains that it can't find the file. Could that be because the file is
constantly being written?

Ricardo