[FFmpeg-user] Intent of -copyinkf and non-key frames in video stream copy

Doug Handy doug at doughandy.com
Sat Apr 20 14:45:43 CEST 2013

Carl,

>> ‘-copyinkf[:stream_specifier] (output,per-stream)’
>> When doing stream copy, copy also non-key frames
>> found at the beginning.

> No.
> The option just allows you not to skip
> the initial non-keyframes when doing
> stream-copy.

Not what I wanted to hear, but a definitive no is still better than continuing to try to chase a dream.

So what does that suggest about the playability of the output video stream on those beginning frames?  If there is no initial key frame generated, what is the value of using this option to include non-keyframes?  I'm trying now to understand the potential uses for the -copyinkf option.

Thanks,
Doug