[FFmpeg-user] "fps 2997 is too large" - creates mov with bad public atom (error -2002

Steve C natgeo.operations at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 13:03:35 CEST 2013

Nathan,

Yes, that file should play back fine, that is an example of the source file.

The problem starts when you try to use -c:v copy

FFMPEG shows an error:

"fps 2997 is too large"

play back the output file with quicktime it says:

"Error -2002: a bad public movie atom was found in the movie"

You can get -c:v copy to work, but you have to also use -timecode
00:00:00:00 -r 29.97  in the command statement.

I don't understand why -timecode and -r are needed to make this work.
I'm guessing it has something to do with the drop-frame timecode on a
ProResHQ.mov,
because when I take a ProResHQ.mov with non-drop-frame timecode (PAL, 25fps)
i can get the -c:v copy command to work with no errors.

hope that helps.

thanks for testing this out, glad its not just me.

steve