[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg stalls when trying to transcode live content from HD PVR

Gotblade primeair at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 03:55:46 CEST 2013

ffmpeg -i /dev/video0 -vcodec libx264 -preset ultrafast -qp 15 -acodec copy
-y filename.mkv

This is what worked for me. The -qp switch allows you to regulate the data
stream so it's withing your hardware's  capabilities. I started out with -qp
0 but it hung. Then I tried 1 & it went a lot further before hanging & I
noticed a drop in the size in kb/s. 15 allowed me a complete capture at a
high enough rate to have great quality video. Around 18000 kb/s. I notice I
can scan these recordings much more cleanly as well. No after images as I
jump forward or back!