[FFmpeg-user] optimized bitrate

Bob Maple bobm-ffmpeg at burner.com
Mon Sep 24 18:19:59 CEST 2012

On 9/24/2012 6:05 AM, Hugo Wau wrote:

> Now I would like to have a (Linux) bash script, where the right bitrate
> is calculated from the length of the audio or from the number of the
> single images, from which the video is made.

You can calculate a general bitrate by taking the maximum number of bits
you are able to store, and divide by the number of seconds of material
you have.

So say you had a storage medium that could hold 100000 bits and had 62
seconds of material to store on it, your data rate couldn't exceed about
16kbits/sec.

Don't forget to include your audio in the estimate, and some pad for
overhead (DVD IFO files, etc.)  Then rather than trying to guess and use
a q-factor, compress to the desired bitrate.