[FFmpeg-user] ProRes Quicktimes with audio not playing back reliably

Tim Nicholson nichot20 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 24 09:30:34 CEST 2012

On 23/09/12 04:43, Bob Maple wrote:
>> Does it work if you use another audio codec?
>> (aac with high bitrate)
>
> Ah - forgot to finish testing that the other night as well (I was
> getting errors about AAC being 'experimental' and then got sidetracked
> on something else.)
>
> But no, AAC doesn't work, nor does MP3.. still get glitchy
> playback/dropped frames.
>
> For fun I also tried still using PCM and changing the bit depth and
> sample rate to no avail;  pcm_s24le at 48khz is still not good,
> pcm_s16le at 44.1khz is still not good, etc.
>
> Back on the video front, I tried MJPEG as suggested by Thomas which
> works fine, and I also just did DNxHD and it plays fine as well.  So it
> seems to be something with Prores specifically.

I can confirm that on playing back some recent ProRes files in QT player
7 I was seeing random picture freezing/jumping with audio playing
smoothly, which, if you stopped and went back over the same material did
not occur/occurred in a different place. I was putting this down to
pulling the files over the network until I saw this thread....

My coding parameters were:-

ffmpeg version N-44123-g5d55830
-c:v prores -profile:v 3 \
-c:a copy \