[FFmpeg-user] -qcomp 0.8 with no effect

Hugo Wau hugowau at gmx.net
Sun Sep 23 17:51:09 CEST 2012

Hello Gabri Nurtinaz Shally,
Hello Carl,

On 23.09.2012 03:51, Gabri Nurtinaz Shally wrote:
> On Sep 23, 2012 2:20 AM, "Hugo Wau"<hugowau at gmx.net>  wrote:
>
>> I will not change the screen-size, nor will I reduce audio quality. Just
>>
> a bit more compression, a bit less video quality - if necessary - to make
> the resulting video fit the media. (4.9GB -->>  4.5GB)
>

> then you should remove -sameq and add -b:v to set the bitrate.
>
> from my experience with mencoder, -qcomp is used to balance how bitrate
> will be used between high motion and still image, and extremely usefull
> with two pass encoding. -qcomp doesn't have effect on resulting size, but
> resulting quality.

Well, nevertheless it works for me now, I just reduced the size of the
video, which with -sameq (CARL, WHAT DOES THIS REALLY MEAN - IF IT IS
NOT SAME QUALITY?) and without -qcomp was 4.9 GB  --  reduced to 4.0 GB,
when "-fs 4500M" just had truncated the end of the video, which was not
desirable.

with kind regards
Hugo