[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg choses variable framerate for 1080p video only

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 14 17:18:26 CEST 2012

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Kosta Vlotis <kosta.brazzers at gmail.com> wrote:
> the same original video was used to create both 720p and 1080p videos.
> the only reason i discovered this is because the 720p (CFR) worked on
> a PlayStation 3 and the 1080p (VFR) did not (The PS3 does not support
> VFR). further investigating showed that FFMPEG was selecting VFR for
> the 1080p video even though the command line is exactly the same
> (minus bit rate and resolution)

Why do you think it is VFR? Is it because it doesn't play on the PS3,
and mediainfo says it is VFR?

That is not necessarily conclusive - it could not play for a number of
reasons, and mediainfo can easily be wrong - I've never ever seen an
ffmpeg dev remotely interested in what mediainfo has to say about a
file :)

What does *ffmpeg* say about it?

Cheers

Tom