[FFmpeg-user] Licensing: Modified FFmpeg with a call to an external library

mvram ram at modernvideo.co
Mon Sep 10 07:02:42 CEST 2012

Hi,

I have a licensing question.

I make a change in a FFmpeg source file and call a function from a
dynamically linked external library (libmyext). I configure FFmpeg without
"enable-gpl" and without "enable-nonfree". The only way the modified code
will be invoked is if FFmpeg is configured with --enable-myext. I update my
EULA as mentioned in the Checklist at http://ffmpeg.org/legal.html and I
make the source code for the updated FFmpeg available on my website.

Can I include FFmpeg in my product distribution?

Is it ok for me to choose a proprietary license for that external library
"libmyext"? Or am I required to make it an open source GPL/LGPL based
license?

Can someone please advise.

Thanks.