[FFmpeg-user] Selecting/cutting small sections of videos with ffmpeg

Chris Racey c.racey1 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 12:46:09 CEST 2012

I'm very much a novice user of ffmpeg, and I'm using it with the windows
command prompt. I have 7 second long, 25fps, mp4 videos and I'm tyring to
cut out small 2 second sections of them using ffmpeg.

The problem I'm having is I cant get it to cut properly if I specify a
start point other than the beginning of the video.

Originally I was running this command:-

Code: ffmpeg -i full.mp4 -ss 3 -t 2 -vcodec copy -acodec copy cut.mp4

This fails with errors saying I should (check -ss / -t / -frames parameters
if used) (paste bin of the error: http://pastebin.com/RWJ6wFZ1).

If i set -ss to 0 this cuts 2 seconds from the start and works fine.

Following some advice from IRC I tried this:-

Code: ffmpeg -i full.mp4 -vf select='gte(t\,3)*lte(t\,5)' -vcodec copy
-acodec copy test.mp4

This ignores the specified window and copies over the whole 7 seconds.

Could anyone tell me where I'm going wrong?

Many thanks,
Chris