[FFmpeg-user] Need code to convert MP4 to DivX AVI

Andy Civil andycivil at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 07:41:47 CEST 2012

On 2012-08-25 5:40 AM, . wrote:

> I'm trying to convert mp4's and put them on my Eclipse T2800 in avi
> format.  Sadly, the code line below didn't work.  Oh well, what do I
> expect from a mp3/avi player that cost $42?

I've just been battling the same thing with a Philips DivX player, the DVP3140.
I wouldn't have started if I'd known how many hours and blank DVDs I'd waste.

I won't bore you with the saga, but the bottom line is that this kind of player
is quite fussy (since I have a life outside video conversion, I forgot what this
player would take, vs. my WD Media Player which is more versatile). It refused
to even TRY to play anything until I set the FourCC to "DIVX" (I think it
accepts XVID too) then it would fail. (Symptoms were that it would appear to
start, blank screen, time counter would "race" at many times real time; I think
it was reading the file flat out, looking at frames and displaying the time, but
not finding a frame it liked. Pressing "stop" restored the menu.) The
breakthrough for me was discovering that there was an actual codec named
"libxvid" whereas I'd been trying mpeg-4 because I thought that's what DivX was.

Just for the record, the command that worked for me was:

c:\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg -i input.mkv -sn -c:a libmp3lame -ar 48000
-ab 128k -ac 2 -c:v libxvid -crf 24 -vtag DIVX -vf scale=640:480
-aspect 4:3 -mbd rd -flags +mv4+aic -trellis 2 -cmp 2 -subcmp 2
-g 30 -vb 1500k output.avi

(This was for an old TV show, to be displayed on a CRT 4:3 screen; a different
scale and aspect would probably be better for modern stuff.)

I can't say this will work for anyone else, just saying it worked for me on what
is now a 'dated' and fussy DivX player.

--
Andy