[FFmpeg-user] Creating time-lapse from more than a thousand images

Andy Civil andycivil at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 21:07:58 CEST 2012

On 2012-09-03 1:16 PM, Weston Ruter wrote:
> I've had success making time-lapse videos from still images, but only when
> the number of input stills is less than ~1000. Is there a way around this
> limitation? Here's the command I'm using:
>
> ffmpeg -r 30 -q:v 2  -i '%*.jpg' timelapse.mp4

I'm wondering if you've made a command line that's just too long by using the
single-quote syntax. Could you use something like

ffmpeg -f image2 -i IMG_%04d.jpg -r 30 -q:v 2 timelapse.mp4

because I believe that makes FFmpeg do the expansion, not the shell.

(There was once a restriction on how the files were numbered, i.e. starting from
0000 or 0001, not sure if that's still valid. Untested command example.)

--
Andy