[FFmpeg-user] "error, non monotone timestamps"

Rhodri James rhodri at kynesim.co.uk
Tue Oct 30 20:25:11 CET 2012

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 02:32:07 -0000, Zarathustra
<leelacade at centurylink.net> wrote:

> Well, they're you've all got it.

What what?  If you hadn't excised all context I might have had a chance of
figuring out what you meant to type.  Most old-fashioned netiquette has a
reason; congratulations on tripping over one of the reasons for quoting.

(Yes, I know you're using nabble.  Most of us aren't.  If you don't want
to put the work in to give us a bit of context, that's fine, but then you
can hardly expect the rest of us to put the work in to go get it either.)

>  This "follow our inane rules or you don't
> exist" is what "extreme groidism" means.

Thanks for explaining that neologism, that's always a good idea on a
mailing list where many of the most frequent contributors don't have
English as their first language.  I had googled the term, but since most
of the first page linked to this thread I gave up.  I wondered if it was
related to "grody", which I haven't heard in over a decade, but apparently
not.

>  It's called testing.  There is
> really scant error handling for cases where parameters *aren't*
> specified.
> Thousands waste hours every day because of it and all you care is that
> your
> cognescenti don't have to waste as much time figuring out how your
> "tested
> to spec and sweet fuck all the error cases" software works.  That's the
> essence of "groidism".

Have you:

(a) raised a bug report on the bug tracker about this?  Preferably in more
detail that "it's broken" if you don't want the time-honoured tech support
response of "have you tried switching it off and on again?"

(b) attempted to fix it yourself?  This is an open source project, anyone
can submit patches.  I very much doubt it's an easy option, but it is on
the table there.

If neither of the above, why are you expecting something to magically
happen?

> For those that just want a solution, don't code "-copy" when you're
> getting
> these errors.  Specify the parameters.

Well, it's a solution, but it's a remarkably poor one.  Unless you really
want different encoding parameters, decoding and reencoding will compound
the loss of quality inherent in whatever codec you are using, quite apart
 from taking a lot longer.

--
Rhodri James
Kynesim Ltd