[FFmpeg-user] crf mode in libvpx

Gew gewan at home.no
Wed Oct 24 02:02:09 CEST 2012

Guys. I'm finding quality mode with VP8 (libvpx) hard as well. The
quality-span is 0-63 with VP8, this I know. So, although 1 may be a bit
extreme in most cases, I thought it'd be a good example, since default
output ("ffmpeg.exe -i input output.webm") produces a file with dull
~250kbps quality.

So far I've tried -crf, -v:q and the oldish -qscale (with and without the
"-strict -2" parameter). None of these works. I was about to give up, when I
saw this thread, and the last suggestion; putting -qmin and -qmax to the
same value, actually seems to work. Also, ffmpeg accepts only values 1-63
for this setting while using "-vcodec libvpx", so it seems to deliver the
correct data to the codec somehow.

However, I'm one of those guys who simply won't give up on finding easier
ways. I mean, this seems somehow like a work-around. Why is all the other
switches (-crf/-v:q/-qscale) simply ignored by FFmpeg? Is this
intentionally, or some bug? I've tried a couple of FFmpeg builds. One from
last year, one from January this year, and one that was built just
yesterday. All with similar results. Any ideas? Should I just suffice with
the solution of typing in the same value with qmin/qmax and go from there?