[FFmpeg-user] What is the state of AAC in FFmpeg?

Werner Robitza werner.robitza at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 22:01:49 CEST 2012

FFmpeg has been confusing me a little lately. I used to use "libfaac" most
of the time, but then I learned some static builds like Zeranoe don't
include it at all.
Before FFmpeg 1.0, "libvo_aacenc" seemed to be available, but now it
doesn't appear to exist anymore. "aac" still works with the "strict" flag
though.

To summarize:

- Which AAC encoders are available and supported?
- Which ones are enabled by default?
- What are the differences and why should one choose one over the other?