[FFmpeg-user] When and how to use yadif?

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sun Nov 25 03:19:38 CET 2012

I am capturing a raw video stream.  It is interlaced.  I am trying to
generate stills from the stream, but they all look interlaced....  When
and where in the command line should I use yadif?

ffmpeg -f video4linux2 -s $SIZE -i /dev/video0 -vframes $NFRAMES -f
rawvideo /tmp/video.raw
ffmpeg -f rawvideo -pix_fmt yuyv422 -s $SIZE -i /tmp/video.raw -f image2
-pix_fmt rgb24 /tmp/road%02d.png

Here's a couple of examples of the interlacing I'm seeing:

http://seiner.com/cz/rtpictures/2012_11_24T14h00m12sZ_1.006541_44.387665_-121.666485.jpg
http://seiner.com/cz/rtpictures/2012_11_24T15h02m33sZ_0.963119_44.121713_-122.412587.jpg

I've tried various attemps at it but the documentation gives little help on how to use yadif properly.