[FFmpeg-user] Multiple Seeks (-ss/-t) in one file

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Thu Nov 22 12:07:33 CET 2012

Le duodi 2 frimaire, an CCXXI, Bernd Butscheidt a écrit :
> I simply would see the advantage in the fact, that if you have several cut
> points you actually need to stream from the beginning of the file as often
> as the amount of cuts.
> If you could pass several cuts in one command, the file needed to be
> passed through only once - at least as far I can imagine.

If the source file is not seekable, that is a perfectly valid point. If the
source file is seekable, several commands will be able to make use of that.

I believe that having a single ffmpeg instance with a single input and
several outputs, each with the codecs parameters and its own -ss and -t will
work for that case, at the cost of decoding the useless parts of the video.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George