[FFmpeg-user] qtrle in an avi results in "non video" playback

Roger Pack rogerdpack2 at gmail.com
Wed May 30 21:37:15 CEST 2012

>> Does this mean that the avi mixer should "reject" qtrle
>
> No, because you may choose a fourcc - for example RogP - that
> ffmpeg will happily write for your avi, but that will create
> more files that are unplayable with anything outside the
> FFmpeg / MPlayer universe, which we try to avoid.
> Otoh, if you find an avi with qtrle in the wild, we will
> probably support it (and I agree with you,
> at least a warning would be fine).

Ok that makes sense.  Players aren't "used" to seeing qtrle in avi's
so don't accomodate for them, which is ok for now (and agree about the
warning).
As a note, not even ffmpeg/mplayer plays these avi's back right, but
if they're mov's they do splendidly.
And no I haven't run into any "in the wild" except the ones I
accidentally created.
Thanks!
-roger-