[FFmpeg-user] probesize

Mike Scheutzow mike.scheutzow at alcatel-lucent.com
Fri May 25 16:14:09 CEST 2012

JULIAN GARDNER wrote:

>> ________________________________ From: Mike Scheutzow
>> <mike.scheutzow at alcatel-lucent.com> To: FFmpeg user questions and
>> RTFMs <ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org> Sent: Friday, 25 May 2012, 14:23
>> Subject: Re: [FFmpeg-user] probesize
>>
>> JULIAN GARDNER wrote:
>>> I have some streams in h264/aac and i have had to double the
>>> probesize value to get ffmpeg to recongise the audio/video
>>> correctly.
>>>

>>> As this is a MPEG-TS container and I know the values of the
>>> audio/video pids and their formats is there a way via the
>>> commandline to tell ffmpeg this info without going through the
>>> probing?
>>>
>>> joolz

>> You have been on this list for years, yet you post a question like
>> this without an ffmpeg command line?
>>
>> In my experience, this symptom occurs only with network or pipe
>> input. So no one can give an accurate answer since you did not
>> provide any information about that.
>>

>> Mike Scheutzow

> Sorry meant analysizeduration, had to change it to double the 5000000
> ffmpeg normally uses, and i did surf and check for answers, but with
> the speed ffmpeg changes most searches turned up outofdate stuff,
> hence coming to the list
>
> ffmpeg -analyzeduration 10000000 -i xx.avi -f mpegts -y a.ts
>
> Is that a good enough command line, the problem is the source
> material has the tendency to only give the audio stream as the
> -x264opts keyint are 75/100 depending on the stream coming in.
>
> joolz

Sorry, but I am even more confused. Your orignal question was about
reading an mpeg transport stream. So why does your command show an .avi
input file?

Further, increasing 'analyzeduration' for an .avi file *should* have no
useful effect. AVI has a header at the start of the file, so no
'analyzing' (scanning the bitstream) should be necessary to discover
what stream types are present in that file type.

Please show us the output from 'ffmpeg -i xx.avi'

Mike Scheutzow