[FFmpeg-user] debian and h264

Mike Scheutzow mike.scheutzow at alcatel-lucent.com
Thu May 24 15:36:24 CEST 2012

Joana Moll wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question regarding the use of h264 in a Debian server.
> My server provider told me that libx264 is not stable in Debian, so instead
> they've installed h264. As far as I'm concerned, libx264 and h264 are the
> same, am I wrong?

My understanding is that debian is using a fork of ffmpeg, not the
"real" ffmpeg.

On this list, we provide help for the real ffmpeg, but not for the fork.

There is no way to know what "we installed h264" means. If instead they
said 'x264', that means they installed a standalone application that
focuses mostly on h.264 encoding.

There are millions of hits in google for how to use that app. You can
start at http://x264.nl

> The following command that it worked perfectly in a Freebsd server, it's
> not working on a Debian one.  They say that I should use another codec that
> is not h264 although it's installed (?), so I feel they are confused.
>
> So what's the correct way to declare  -vcodec libx264 in Debian then?

You need to go to the fork's mailing list for help with that.

Mike Scheutzow