[FFmpeg-user] mmsh streams and immense buffering

Patrick Cornwell patrick at cornwell.org
Wed May 23 17:08:01 CEST 2012

> (Backtrace for crash missing.)
> (When reporting problems, always try to avoid using external libraries
> like x264 and libvo, it makes reproducing problems more difficult.)
>
> I already wrote that there is some confusion between FFmpeg and the
> server you are using concerning timestamps, just look at the ffplay
> output.
>
> Carl Eugen

Carl,

Had to change email addresses for this list as it suddenly stopped working
(FFMPEG's mail server suddenly thinks the domain nerdy.co.uk doesn't exist)
- anyway apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

The timestamps are most likely a problem at the encoding stage. The server
you're connected to is an up to date Windows Media server. The problem for
me with changing the encoding is firstly finding the fixing the issue,
distributing the software and getting people to use it (each broadcast is by
a different person somewhere in the world). If I can hack it within FFMpeg,
all the better for me, for now.

I note if I ask FFPlay to sync to the video rather than audio it works in
this case (i.e. ffplay -i "mmsh://209.105.232.35/cssaitek1" -sync video) -
though I note there's no probesize option I can use to make it play quickly.

Is there an equivalent in FFMpeg (I can't find it), so I'm at least getting
some data into the file. Something to just say 'disregard the discrepancy'
in timestamps - as I think this would only occur in streams where there is
no audio data anyway.

Pat