[FFmpeg-user] Video files splitting and merging issue

Chris Herdt cherdt at gmail.com
Wed May 23 16:16:31 CEST 2012

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 8:17 AM, Tarun singhal <tsinghal18 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hi all,
>> As we know, unless files are in privileged raw format such as mpg, we cant
>> merge those files by simple binary concatenation.
>> I found this tool mp4box, which is able to concatenate mp4 files. Well
>> thats great, but the problem is it can do that for mp4 only.
>>
>> One more thing ,Please correct me if i am wrong, If I am trying to cut a
>> segment of a 3 hrs video from 20th minute to 30th minute, ffmpeg will have
>> to parse the video till 20th segment and then start processing. If thats
>> true, then that is bad.
>>
>> What I would Like to ask from community is Can somebody please let me know
>> following things.
>>
>> 1) What all formats can be stitched together by simple binary
>> concatenation?
>>  2) Is there any generic command line tool available which can split and
>> merge any formats?

1) http://ffmpeg.org/faq.html#How-can-I-join-video-files_003f lists
MPEG-1, MPEG-2 PS, DV as the containers that support concatenation.

2) The same page lists an option for using named pipes that I have
found useful for exactly the same use case you are describing.

I believe it is true that ffmpeg will have to parse the video until
minute 20 to start processing minutes 20-30.

--
Chris Herdt
Web Applications Developer