[FFmpeg-user] Video files splitting and merging issue

Tarun singhal tsinghal18 at gmail.com
Mon May 21 20:34:37 CEST 2012

Hi all,
As we know, unless files are in privileged raw format such as mpg, we cant
merge those files by simple binary concatenation.
I found this tool mp4box, which is able to concatenate mp4 files. Well
thats great, but the problem is it can do that for mp4 only.

One more thing ,Please correct me if i am wrong, If I am trying to cut a
segment of a 3 hrs video from 20th minute to 30th minute, ffmpeg will have
to parse the video till 20th segment and then start processing. If thats
true, then that is bad.

What I would Like to ask from community is Can somebody please let me know
following things.

1) What all formats can be stitched together by simple binary concatenation?
2) Is there any generic command line tool available which can split and
merge any formats?