[FFmpeg-user] Using CPU Capabilties

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Fri May 18 08:26:25 CEST 2012

Reindl Harald <h.reindl <at> thelounge.net> writes:

> i usually compile with runtime-cpudetec combined with
> explicit CFLAGS reflecting the best possible options
> for all CPUs in my working and private environment

If your CFLAGS allow for a faster ffmpeg executable than
default compilation (with ./configure && make) that would
be a bug in FFmpeg (that should be reported).

> my idea for this is that GCC can especially by
> "-mtune=core2 -msse4.1" optimize any binary code
> while with "runtime-cpudetect" on my personal
> workstation AVX can be used which is not available
> currently on all machines
>
> is my assumption completly wrong here?

No, but if you are interested in performance, it is better
to compile for each target individually.
(At least, this has been the information for a long time.)