[FFmpeg-user] resolution problem with recording from webcam

Jeff L jeffreylaut at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 13:06:25 CET 2012

I am trying to record webcam (logitech pro 9000) video using ffmpeg... If I
use cheese, the webcam will record at whatever resolution I tell it to.
If I use the following command;

ffmpeg -t 10 -f video4linux2 -s 1280x720 -r 9 -i /dev/video0 -an webcam.avi

The webcam will record, and I'll have a video that is 1280x720 in size, but
the quality is crap. It looks like it is just stretching a low resolution
image to be 1280x720. Recording with cheese it looks great. I can't seem to
figure out why.
Any ideas?