[FFmpeg-user] configuring source for x86_64 architectures

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Mar 19 20:13:23 CET 2012

Arturo Rinaldi <arty.net2 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> i put the switch */--arch=x86_64/* in the */./configure/* step, however
> the configure output returns always */x86 (generic)/* as architecture. I
> also tried to put */--arch=amd64/* but it didn't solve the problem.

(Missing configure line and "cc -v" output.)
configure will select the correct architecture for your system's default
compiler if you do not explicitly set a compiler with "--cc=".
To compile for 32bit on a 64 bit system, you can for example use:
./configure --cc='cc -m32'
Afaict, --arch is only useful if you cross-compile.