[FFmpeg-user] Technical specification for FFv1?

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Wed Mar 7 09:52:23 CET 2012

Hello,

As some on this list might already know, we at the Austrian Mediathek
(=national audio/video archive) are using FFv1 for long-term storage
of our digitized video material.

Now, we've received questions about the standardization status of
FFv1, and as far as I know: there is none.

The only specification of FFv1 I know about is:
a) The code itself [1]
b) A short overview-text [2] (still up-to-date?)

Since FFv1 has turned out to currently be *the* codec for video
archiving (compared to JPEG2k and Uncompressed), it would be great if
other archives would/could use it, too.

Long story short:
Is there any proper documentation, which could be used to propose it
for standardization? Or to improve faith that its bitstream can be
opened in x years from now?

Any feedback / information welcome!

Thanks in advance,
Peter B.