[FFmpeg-user] Framerate Question

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Mar 5 19:23:16 CET 2012

Andrey Utkin <andrey.krieger.utkin <at> gmail.com> writes:

> 2012/3/5 Jared McIntyre <jmcintyre <at> dfsoftware.com>:
> > I'm re-encodeing broadcast video. The source was apparently
> > 720 30fps, but is being broadcast 60fps where every frame
> > appears twice. I thought I'd try to save some space by
> > re-encoding and using 30fps to cut
> > out every other frame. I used the following command:
>
> I believe x264 encoder is able to compress efficiently in
> this case, without such a hack.

I don't think that is possible for the actual use-case (where the frames
show subtle differences, I get the same here for several tv channels).

-r 30 / 30000/1001 is correct afaict if you have to re-encode,
the size of the resulting video only depends on the settings, and
I believe it is unlikely you will save space if you don't want to
loose quality.