[FFmpeg-user] Problems encoding to DV25 .avi file

Andy Wodfer wodfer at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 12:51:58 CET 2012

Hi,
I need some input on a problem I have.

I'm using the latest 0.10 version of ffmpeg compiled from source on a
FreeBSD 8.2 machine.

The source file is a Prores 422HQ file (1280x720 @ 50fps 720P).

I want to make this into a DV25 .avi file that is playable in Windows Media
Player and that will work in Ie. Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 on a WinXP machine.
Ie: A Windows compatible DV25 file.

I've tried several options, but I can't make it work.

"-target pal-dv" gives me a file that plays fine in VLC player, but not in
Windows Media Player. Adobe Premiere reports unsupported format and won't
import it.

"-vcodec dvvideo  -s 720x576 -pix_fmt yuv420p -r 25 -acodec pcm_s16le -ac 2
-ar 48000" works if I choose .mov as a container. It opens in Quicktime and
VLC and import to Adobe Premiere works fine. Aspect ratio is also fine.

If I change the container to .avi it won't play back in Windows Media
Player.

Any ideas of what I can try next?

Thanks!!
Best regards,