[FFmpeg-user] segmenter creates empty m3u8 file

Christian Ebert blacktrash at gmx.net
Tue Jun 26 01:42:34 CEST 2012

* Stefano Sabatini on Monday, June 25, 2012 at 14:59:56 +0200
> On date Tuesday 2012-06-19 07:51:35 +0100, Christian Ebert encoded:
>> * Hector Cano on Monday, June 18, 2012 at 17:35:49 +0200
>>> Have you tried including the desired segment length?
>>>
>>> -segment_time 10
>>>
>>> That should produce 10 second long segments, as far as I have tested.
>
>> I thought so as well, but at least from my mp4 test file it does
>> not make any difference - varying segment lengths from ~ 3.1 secs
>> to 19.46 secs.
>
> Segment lenght depends on the key-frames present in the file to be
> fragmented, that is each fragment must start with a key-frame so the
> segmenter may not honour the specified size in case there are not
> "enough" key frames in the source file.

I thought/feared as much.

> You can use -force_key_frames to force frames at a given position when
> transcoding.

I admit I wanted to avoid re-transcoding for this purpose ;-)

> I extended the segmenter, you may have a look at the following link,
> create a ticket if you want to track the branch integration:
> http://gitorious.org/~saste/ffmpeg/sastes-ffmpeg/commits/misc-segment-fixes-20120206

Thanks. I will look into it.

--
\black\trash movie           _COWBOY  CANOE  COMA_
            Ein deutscher Western/A German Western

--->> http://www.blacktrash.org/underdogma/ccc.php