[FFmpeg-user] insert a logo with transparency

Rossana Guerra guerra.rossana at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 03:41:07 CEST 2012

2012/6/21 Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at>

> Rossana Guerra <guerra.rossana <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Carl, first of all, I didn't cut/hide anything
>
> So what you are saying is that the ffmpeg version on Ubuntu
> does not show any header at all? No program name, no
> copyright notice, no version information, instead output
> starts with a warning ("Seems stream 0 codec frame rate ...")?
> In this case, I am very sorry, I didn't use Ubuntu for a long
> time and I could not imagine they would change the default
> output so much.
> Note that in this post, your output looked different:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.user/37148

I have no explanation for this, maybe it was because the output was sent to
a file also.

> > , it has no sense (and it would be foolish) if I want to
> > solve this problem or doing it in the correct manner.
> > I have been polite in my posts.
>
> > Maybe is the version of FFMpeg running on Ubuntu 12,
> > it wasn't intentional at all.
>
> You are misunderstanding:
> I did not want to imply that you intentionally installed a
> broken version of FFmpeg, I wanted to explain that Ubuntu
> tries to force you (intentionally) to use a severely broken
> version of FFmpeg that - among hundreds of other bugs -
> contains some bugs that look security relevant (iow: a
> version that may have several security issues).
> For that reason, Jon Severinsson kindly provides working
> FFmpeg binaries for Ubuntu, you will find the link on
> http://ffmpeg.org/download.html

Ok, sorry then, but since you wrote a 'warning' behavior code about cutting
messages, I missanderstood this fact.

> > (If you want I can attach an image of the console output).
>
> Please don't;-)
>
> > Apart of the FFmpeg version, is this the correct command?
>
> I don't think so, because as explained, FFmpeg currently
> installed on your computer does not support alpha in bmp.
> If it works for png, there is absolutely no reason to
> assume it wouldn't work for bmp, if it doesn't, there may
> be a bug. Allow me to repeat that one could argue bmp
> never contains alpha information but since both Gimp and
> ImageMagick support it, I believe it makes sense that
> FFmpeg also assumes alpha in bmp.
>
> You should be able to convert your png (with alpha) to a
> bmp with alpha with
> $ convert alpha.png alpha.bmp
> and
> $ ffmpeg -i alpha.png alpha.bmp

Ok, thanks for the tips. Learning something new. I converted the .png was
to a transparent alpha bmp. I checked the bmp created file with GIMP and it
has transparency. The other bmp I used didn't have alpha (checked with
GIMP).

I did what you suggested at the commands above, and it works: it converts a
png to a new bmp with alpha.
Then I applied the command I said you before:

ffmpeg -loglevel error -i video1.avi -vf "movie=logo2.png [logo];
[in][logo] overlay=W-w-10:10:1[out]" -vcodec libx264 -b 1400k outlogo10.avi
>> logerror.txt

In this case the bmp file is inserted correctly: with transparency. I
assume it was a bmp issue then rather than incorrect syntax command. Is
this right?
(Since in my first attemp I was applying the command with no transparency)

(I didn't install the Ubuntu version yet,).

Just in case, this is my installed version:

usuario at pangolin:~/Vídeos/Xelestina$ ffmpeg -version
ffmpeg version 0.8.1-4:0.8.1-0ubuntu1, Copyright (c) 2000-2011 the Libav
developers
  built on Mar 22 2012 05:09:06 with gcc 4.6.3
This program is not developed anymore and is only provided for
compatibility. Use avconv instead (see Changelog for the list of
incompatible changes).
ffmpeg 0.8.1-4:0.8.1-0ubuntu1
libavutil    51. 22. 1 / 51. 22. 1
libavcodec   53. 35. 0 / 53. 35. 0