[FFmpeg-user] Low latency streaming from webcam

Tim Pitman tapitman11 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 02:13:00 CEST 2012

I did a test where I recorded 20 seconds of video and stored it in a file. Then
I did the same thing but instead of storing data the entire time, for
the first 10
seconds I let ffmpeg and x264 sit there with the buffers full, then the last 10
seconds I let cat loose on the end pipe. What I saw was the first two seconds of
video, followed by the same frame for the next 8 seconds, followed by the last
10 seconds of video. The files ended up the same size (actually the
second one is
bigger by a few %).