[FFmpeg-user] Tips for converting MTS to DVD/mp4

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Jun 13 08:26:49 CEST 2012

Marck Vaisman <marck <at> vaisman.us> writes:

> I'd like to convert these large MTS files into smaller mp4 for making
> DVDs (witout editing) and for sharing, and making them playable in
> machines with less resources. I'd like to keep the HD quality of the
> videos.

I may be misunderstanding but the goals that you set (mp4, DVD, HD,
less resources) are strongly conflicting with each other.

Allow me to add that using constant quantiser is bad for all above
goals (it only makes sense if you have to convert to another
format but do not care about size or if conversion speed is
critical).