[FFmpeg-user] AC-3 Dolby Digital 5.1 Encoding

Chase Patterson chapatt at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 23:56:09 CEST 2012

On Sun, 3 Jun 2012, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

> Chase Patterson <chapatt <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> The other thing is the -channel_layout value
>
> As said before, please do not use it, it makes no
> difference for your use case.
> (It may be needed if you encode raw pcm audio.)

Oh, ok, I see.

> To test if the encoded ac-3 stream is indeed a surround
> stream, I suggest a hardware decoder.

It is indeed a surround stream. I will eventually test it on a DVD and a
set-top box, which I'm assuming will work correctly. I'm just wondering
how Totem decides if something is surround or not, and if there's some
ffmpeg option that encodes additional metadata to say this.

Like I said, I'm pretty happy with how this works, since it seems to be
functional, just curious as to why these little things happen.

Thank you!
Chase