[FFmpeg-user] How can I remux a video from 2997/100 to 30000/1001 fps?

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Mon Jul 30 11:49:54 CEST 2012

Quoting Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at>:

> Peter B. <pb <at> das-werkstatt.com> writes:
>
>> I've tried to transcode a FFv1/PCM lossless file (720x576 @29.970fps)
>> to a DVD conform MPEG, but mencoder threw the following error message:
>
>> "$ ffmpeg -i input.avi -r 30000/1001 -acodec copy -vcodec copy output.avi"
>
> Why don't you convert to a DVD-conforming MPEG with FFmpeg if you need it
> ' and leave the file untouched if you want an avi?
> Or do I misunderstand?

The AVI is the long-term preservation copy for the archive - and the
MPEG is just the proxy copy.
The AVI was transcoded from a digital lossy source, which is the
reason why the 2997/100 silently sneaked in. Since the AVI is *the*
archive copy, I want them to be "clean" - which means that if I have
NTSC fps, I want all files to behave the same way, and not "some" like
this and "some" like that... ;)

I'd love to use ffmpeg for transcoding, but as I've mentioned in
multiple AVI segments as input files (000.avi, 001.avi, ...) in one
step. Mencoder can do this - *and* I've verified that it's not losing
any frames and/or audio-samples.

As I know, you've told me that mencoder is practically unmaintained,
I'm also not happy with the current situation, but as I've understood
the threads about splitting/concatenating files with ffmpeg, it's not
going to change - right?

Thanks,
Pb