[FFmpeg-user] Hi, I want to add opencl to ffmpeg, but I don't know how to modify the make file to make the ffmpeg link OpenCL.lib.I add the OpenCL in to libavutil.

James Darnley james.darnley at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 09:34:49 CEST 2012

On 2012-07-27 02:41, Wei Gao wrote:
> Hi Roger,
>
> Thanks.I have fix the problem and run my Opencl kernel.
>
> I want to ask a question again.I read the ffmpeg code but I didn't find
> any  CUDA foot print to optimize ffmpeg.Why don't you use CUDA to optimize?

That is because nobody has written any yet.  If the same reasoning from
x264 also applies to FFmpeg, that is because:

1 - It is not very useful.  You can't just magically speed up the code
you run on a CPU by running it on a GPU.  Code designed specifically for
the GPU may not be any faster or produce any better quality.

2 - The complexity of writing it makes people run off into the night
screaming.  Only a team of mighty warriors has managed to produce some
code to offload x264's lookahead to the GPU.  It has been (at least) 8
months and it is still a work in progress.