[FFmpeg-user] Sliding text banner (was: Newbie questions)

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Sat Jul 21 11:08:02 CEST 2012

Le tridi 3 thermidor, an CCXX, Orbisoft Support a écrit :
> - I need to remove the ./

I ran ffmpeg from my build tree.

> - Use ffmpeg instead of ffmpeg_g

I frequently only build ffmpeg_g to gain some time.

> - Use ascent" rather than ascent'

My bad, I must have changed the quotes inconsistently when rewrapping for
the mail.

> 2) On my original command string, I did change the output file to FLV and as
> a result was able to use a frame rate of 80 frames per second which mad it
> smoother:
>
> c:\mytemp\ffmpeg -r 80 -y -f image2 -i  f:\mytemp\images\image%d.png
> c:\mytemp\video\video.flv

FLV is very not a good choice, especially since you do not set any encoding
parameters.

Since this is an intermediary video, you should go for lossles:

ffmpeg -i image%d.png -c copy images.mkv

It will be faster and preserve the full quality of the overlay.

You can also try lossless H.264:

-c libx264 -crf 0 -pix_fmt yuv444p

It will take more time, but hopefully produce a smaller file.

> 3) So using the method you mentioned I take it I would only need to add one
> frame in total (the black rectangle) then the text would just scroll on
> that? The blank frame is at: http://www.orbisoft.com/ffmpeg/image1.png

With drawtext, you do not need to add anything, you put the text directly on
the video where you need it.

> 4) Would you be kind enough to tell me what the command line should be in
> light of those parameters? I am hoping the file size of the resultant flv
> created using your mentioned methodolgy may somehow be less than the 110 MB
> for the full FLV I created by adding 100,000 or so png frames.

This is hard to predict.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George