[FFmpeg-user] novice, in need of advice regarding format conversion

Tim Nicholson nichot20 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 19 08:59:13 CEST 2012

On 17/07/12 21:30, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> In message <20120717080949.GE9329 at arborea>,
> Stefano Sabatini <stefasab at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> The lowest common denominator for players will be the
>> mpeg2video+MP3+avi combination.
>
> As I said, I only have one target here, i.e. _anything_ that the LG BD670
> can play (and I don't care which container/codec are used, as long as the
> LG BD670 is happy).  In short, I have -zero- reason to care about
> ``portability''.
>
> Also, I think that for what I am doing, I will want to use whatever format
> gives me the MOST quality and/or functionality... NOT the ``lowest common
> denominator''.

The most quality will be to avoid transcoding what you already have, so
a simple rewrap from .VOB to .mpg/avi would probably suffice.

> Lastly, as my prior popsting mentioned, this player allegedly supports .MKV
> files.  If that container format provides more functionality that the other
> supported container formats, then that is probably the one I want to convert
> my .VOB files into.  Now I just need someone to show me precisely how to do
> that.  (An example command line please!)

Might I suggest you try avidemux which is a gui front end for ffmpeg and
easily allows selection of different options, including "stream copying"
with MKV container output.  This would avoid having to "know squat about
ffmpeg, nor about its gazillion options", and allow you to find
something that works..

[...]

--
Tim