[FFmpeg-user] ffplay and vdpau?

Markus Grabner grabner at icg.tugraz.at
Tue Jul 17 22:02:15 CEST 2012

		Hi all!

	Which command line options are required to use vdpau when playing an mts
video with ffplay? I tried the following:

1.) mplayer video.mts

This plays the video with ~94% processor usage.

2.) mplayer -vo vdpau video.mts

This plays the video with ~3% processor usage, which seems to confirm that my
system supports vdpau and decoding is actually done by the GPU.

3.) ffplay video.mts

This plays the video with ~107% processor usage (as reported by top, it's a
dual core machine with obviously more than one thread busy).

4.) ffplay -codec:v h264_vdpau video.mts

No video is rendered, only the sound is played. The following messages are
displayed ~2000 times:
[h264_vdpau @ 0x7fa13c004780] decoding to PIX_FMT_NONE is not supported.
[h264_vdpau @ 0x7fa13c004780] ff_MPV_common_init() failed.
[h264_vdpau @ 0x7fa13c004780] decode_slice_header error
[h264_vdpau @ 0x7fa13c004780] no frame!

5.) ffplay -codec:v h264_vdpau -pix_fmt vdpau_h264 video.mts

This terminates with the message
Option -pix_fmt is deprecated, use -pixel_format.

6.) ffplay -codec:v h264_vdpau -pixel_format vdpau_h264 video.mts

This terminates with the message
Option pixel_format not found.

I tried the following versions of ffplay:
*) release 0.11.1
*) current head revision from the git repository

and the following graphics cards:
*) Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT
*) Nvidia GeForce GTX 260

The behaviour was the same in all configurations. So how can I tell ffplay to
use vdpau for decoding?

	Thanks & kind regards,
		Markus