[FFmpeg-user] AC3 encoding problem - wrong audio tag?

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sat Jul 14 13:05:10 CEST 2012

Stefan Gofferje <ffmpeg-user <at> home.gofferje.net> writes:

> What can I do...? :)

Did you test if my interpretation of your problem is correct at all?
(Iirc you did not post complete, uncut FFmpeg console output
or did you?)
Note that it is extremely simple to force FFmpeg to produce
invalid files, just look at line 452 of libavformat/riff.c
(make it channels > 20 or something similar)

> The ffmpeg-developers seem to utilize an interpretation of a standard
> which seems to be not much widely shared

I googled for waveformatextensible yesterday and any other
(less strict) interpretation of the standard seems truly absurd to me.
After testing that this is indeed the problem, could you add more
information about your setup? It seems extremely unlikely to me that
a Dolby decoder cares at all about a riff / wav header...