[FFmpeg-user] 2.3 gazillion

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Wed Jul 11 05:03:38 CEST 2012

On 07/10/2012 03:26 PM, Roger Pack wrote:
>>> Please read http://ffmpeg.org/contact.html and understand that
>>> thread-highjacking should be avoided.
>>
>> Sorry. Does composing a new email instead of replying fix this?
>
> Yeah.  Kind of odd.

No.  It's not odd.  It's been part of the standard for e-mail clients
since November of 1977:

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc733/?include_text=1

A certain piece of software (graphical, sometime around 1995, I think)
that became popular by default didn't follow this standard--it only
looked at subject lines when displaying replies.  This taught bad habits
to a whole generation.  Oddly, that software would (and still does)
properly insert the "In-Reply-To:" standard headers, screwing up any
other email clients that display threaded conversations per the
published standard.

The lesson is:  Hit "reply" when you really want to reply.  Hit
"compose" when you want to start a new conversation.

It really is that simple.

HTH,

Phil