[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg - equivalent of mencoder's immediatemode=0

Mike F paziu at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 10 00:39:39 CEST 2012

> Mike F <paziu <at> yahoo.com> writes:
>
>>  if I try to use ffmpeg, I get no sound:
>>
>>   ffmpeg -y  -f video4linux2 -i /dev/video0 -f alsa -i hw:1,0

This is the fourth day I am trying to find what is causing ffmpeg not to be able to capture audio from  Pinnacle - v4l2...
mencoder has no issues, but I >>need<< to use ffmpeg along with ffserver
Although I could pipe output from mencoder to ffmpeg to ffserver via FIFO or 'bfr', but too much overhead, buffer underruns, etc....
Finally I ran 'v4lctl list' and I found out, that it is.... MUTED by default.

mute       | bool   | on      | on      |

It was not my suspicion, since:
1> alsamixer did not show MUTE, level was good
2> mencoder was able to capture without any problems, every time....
3> ffmpeg was able to capture audio ONLY if I did not include v4l2 to also get the video.....

after running
# v4lctl volume mute off

ffmpeg started capturing audio and video...

Is there any way, to send a v4l2 cmd as a ffmpeg argument - similar to what mencoder does with forceaudio and  immediatemode=0 or similar to 'v4lctl volume mute off' ?

Thank you,

Mike

ps: I cannot believe that this took me 4 days... sounds like a bad joke