[FFmpeg-user] How to speed up thumbnail generation for video files using FFMPEG on MIPS

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sat Jul 7 13:26:49 CEST 2012

Pavan Kulkarni <pavanvkbgm <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I'm using the following command to get a thumbnail from a
> video file. It uses the seek option to grab a thumbnail.
> The problem is that this command takes up quite some time
> especially with certain containers such as MPEG-2 TS.
> (As much as 40 seconds).

Did you try to find out what takes so long?
Seeking, decoding, encoding (or even startup of the executable)?
ffmpeg -i input.ts out.jpg
ffmpeg -ss 18 -i input.ts -vframes 1 -f null -
ffmpeg -ss 18 -i input.ts -vframes 1 -vcodec copy -f rawvideo /dev/null

Why do you need the select filter?
Nowadays, FFmpeg should seek to a keyframe.
If I am wrong, please provide complete, uncut console output.